Friday, May 21, 2010

Suzanne's 3 go-to meals

1. Santa Fe Grilled Chicken Salad Wrap

-4 cups torn romaine lettuce
- Grilled Chicken breast strips (this recipe calls for the prepacked Southwestern Seasoned Chicken Strips, but I season my own chicken--usually with salt, pepper and celery salt.)
-1 large tomato, chopped
-1 (11oz) can corn, drained
-1/2 cup Mexican style shredded cheese
-1/4 cup Ranch Dressing
-1/4 cup chunky salsa
-8 flour tortillas (I like the ones you cook yourself)

Toss romaine, chicken strips, tomato and corn in a bowl; sprinkle with cheese. Combine dressing and salsa. Pour over romaine mixture; toss to coat. Spoon in to tortillas and enjoy.

My family really likes this recipe and I like it because it is quick. (This is what we are having for dinner tonight!)


2. Grilled Chicken Penne Al Fresco (Sorry, Pam it is kind of similar to yours.)
I like this recipe because most of it is cooked in the microwave.

-4 garlic cloves peeled
-2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes
-3 cups uncooked mezze penne pasta
-3 cups chicken broth
-3/4 cup dry white wine (I use sprite)
-1/2 tsp of salt and pepper
-11/4 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves divided. (I have used dry basil before, but have not put in as much)
-1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
-2 cups diced grilled chicken breasts

Spray a microwave safe dish with Pam/olive oil. Slice garlic and add whole tomatoes. Cover; microwave on high 4-5 minutes or until tomatoes begin to burst, stirring after 2 minutes. Crush remaining tomatoes (i use a potatoe smasher). Add pasta, broth, sprite/wine, salt and black pepper.

Return to microwave; cover and microwave on high 16-18 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring after 1o minutes (I had to cook it about 22 minutes last time.) Meanwhile, coarsely chop basil. Reserve 2 tbsp for garnish.

Remove from Microwave when noodles are done. Add remaining basil, cheese and chicken; mix well. Garnish with reserved 2 tbsp basil, additional Parmesan cheese and black pepper, if desired.


3. Taco-topped Potatoes. It is pretty much taco salad on top of a baked potatoe.

-4 large baking potatoes (bake as you wish--I prefer the oven)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
-1/2 cup chopped onion
-1 garlic clove, pressed
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/8 ground pepper
-1 can tomato sauce
-1/4 cup water
-2 teaspoons chili powder
-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
-1/2 cup shredded cheese
-Ranch dressing

optional toppings: chopped tomatoes, sliced pitted olives, torn romaine lettuce, sour cream, snipped cilantro, sliced green onions, and salsa.

Fry hamburger. Add onion and garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is tender. Stir in tomato sauce, water, chili powder and cumin.

Serve on top of cooked split potatoes. We like to add lettuce, tomatoes, green onions and ranch dressing.


Have fun cooking. I can't wait to try some of Kate's and Pam's recipes.

I tag Anne!



4 comments:

Anne said...

Looks yummy, Suz. But if I'm being honest, my go to dinners are Mac and Cheese, chocolate chip pancakes, and Costco pizza . . . I'll see what I can come up with, but don't even think it's what I usually cook.

pamela said...

wow suz, these sound great.

suzy said...

Anne, I have go to dinners like that as well, it is called Domino's, Arby's and Costco rotisserie chicken.

pamela said...

anne, i tried your suggestion tonight of costco pizza, and i loved it!