Monday, August 13, 2007

That's Right, I Can Make Sushi!


My friend, Ruth, taught me how to make sushi! It is way easier than you think. This is one of those things that I never even really thought about attempting to make. I just sort of thought that regular people couldn't make sushi. But we can! Here's how you do it:
what you will need: (by the way, i got all of these ingredients in the Asian food section at my grocery store)
a package of seaweed wraps for sushi
Calrose Rice
Rice vinegar
Pickled Sushi Ginger
Wasabi
Soy Sauce

possible insides:(usually use 3 ingredients for the insides)
cucumber (peeled and take the seeds out)
avocado (peeled and sprinkled with lemon juice to avoid browning)
carrot (peeled)
crab meat or imitation
smoked salmon
scrambled eggs
or whatever else you like!

so, cook the rice. 1 1/2 cups rice, 3 cups water, 20 minutes. Cut your filling into long strips. Mix the cooked rice with:
1 Tblspn water
1 Tblspn sugar
2 Tblspns rice vinegar

Lay out a piece of seaweed on a cutting board. Spread a thinnish layer of rice on the seaweed paper. Lay your ingredients in a vertical line on top of the rice down the length of the paper. Close to the left edge of the paper, but not too close. Place your fingers on the filling, and pick up the bottom of the seaweed paper with your thumbs. Roll it tightly until you reach the end. I let it sit for about 5 minutes before i cut into pieces. Use a sharp knife.
Serve with pickled ginger (yum!)(pink stuff in the picture)
Wasabi (i bought wasabi mayo, you can get it straight-up, but it's pretty spicy)
Soy Sauce
I hope I described this well. I am a visual learner, so it is hard for me to write written instructions! If you like Sushi, please dare to try these california rolls. They are so yummy, and the best part is you can have as much as you want! Whenever I get sushi at restaurants, I'm always wishing for more, but don't want to spend more $. This way, you can have as much as you want, and you can make it just how you like it!

No comments: