Monday, November 24, 2008

Yams

I'm making these later this week so I'll have a photo to add then. It will probably make more sense with the photo.

So I love yams. I know some people don't, but I always have. My mom has always done yams the way her mom did them--in rick-racked orange peels.

Buy as many oranges as people you plan to serve. Cut off the top 1/4 of the orange, carefully scoop out the inside. With scissors, cut a rick-rack or zig zag pattern around the top edge of the orange.

Bake them well (as if for mashed potatoes), mash them up, and add butter, brown sugar, a little juice and/or zest from the oranges, salt, and pepper to taste. You could also add pecans or sprinkle some on top at the end. Fill oranges with yams.

When you are getting close to serving, place marshmallows on top of yams and heat in oven until marshmallows are browned.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

I ,too, LOVE yams. I have never heard of them served in orange peels! I love this idea, it sounds so festive!! thanks kate!