Monday, November 10, 2008

Pumpkin Soup



The idea for this recipe came from a couple of things: a recipe that my sister in law, Kristy gave me for pumpkin soup got me thinking, and I had a pumpkin that I used for halloween decorating that I wanted to try and use! Jared was very skeptical about me making soup out of a pumpkin, but he loved the finished product!

Cut your pumpkin in half and clean out the seeds, then place each half face down on a cookie sheet. Bake at about 375 for about 45 minutes or until you can poke a fork through the outside. Let it cool for a minute and then scrape the pumpkin out of the shell. I suppose if you wanted a really smooth soup, you could food process it, but I like my soup a little chunky, so i just mashed it with a potato masher. And all of these measurements are approximate since all pumpkins are different sizes!

32 oz chicken broth (1 box)
1 1/2 - 2 cups milk (I used 2 % b/c that's what I had, but you could use whole, or even light cream if you wanted to)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt (or more, according to taste)
1 1/2 - 2 tsp chili powder

So, put your pumpkin in a large saucepan / pot. Add your chicken broth and milk and mix until it is a consistency that you like. Bring it to a boil. Add all of your spices and the sugar. Lower your heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Garnish with Cilantro, cheese, sour cream and extra chili powder. yum!

* if you don't have a pumpkin, you could always just used canned. I think this recipe would work best with about 30 oz of canned pumpkin.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Wowza Vanessa! I'm excited to try this one. I have a recipe for a curried pumpkin soup that I've never gotten around to trying. It think I'll try yours first.