Saturday, July 7, 2007

Coconut Korma

Maybe if Pam and I had had this recipe back then we wouldn't have had to spend so much money at Bombay House. It takes a little effort to find a couple of these ingredients, but it is delicious.

1 lb. chicken
1 yellow onion
2 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. tumeric
1/2 tsp. fengreek (I had to find this at a local health food store in the bulk spices)
2 crushed cardomoms
1 to 2 tsp hot chili powder (to taste)
3 Tbsp. powdered coconut (I couldn't find this so I took unsweetened coconut and put it through the food processor. I haven't tried looking at a foreign foods store, maybe they have it available)
2 Tbsp. white sugar
1 c. cream
3 c. vegetables (I've used carrots, mushrooms, squash/zuchinni, bean sprouts)
1 c. chicken broth
Rice

Cook chicken with spices in butter until browned. Add harder vegetables and chicken broth; simmer until vegetables start to become soft, and add softer vegetables, cream, sugar, and coconut. Simmer on low heat until mixture thickens. Serve over rice.

I couldn't really get the mixture to thicken like I wanted it to, so I ended up putting everything through my food processor in portions so that it turned into more of a sauce like you get at Bombay House. It's pretty tasty.

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

this sounds so yummy, jared will be so excited for me to make this!

pamela said...

i WILL be making it this week. i could just kiss you kate! thanks.

Sarah said...

Just thought you'd want to know that this recipe is #1 on google under "coconut korma". Nice work!